Cheap VM cluster (software, storage) ideas

Ira Abramov Lists-Linux-IL at ira.abramov.org
Wed Mar 4 23:44:23 IST 2009

Quoting Ghiora Drori, from the post of Wed, 04 Mar:
> Hi,
> Amazon EC2 instances plus their EBS disks.
> Scalable, available, reliable (from my experience) and you can experiment
> for a few $'s a day.

I tried to calculate the hosting costs, but was lost when I could not
find the full explanation on how to calculate some of the parameters
Amazon asked. Also it seemed the move to the EC2 would force me to use
S3 and that was a deal breaker. this EBS feature is something I missed
from the stroll in their site, so I suppose it's not something they are
pushing hard yet. is it production-ready? can I stick a mysql server and
all and just keep it all running as-is?

As for hosting cost calculations - is there a tool you can recommend I
can run on existing servers, or just a checklist to go over, that will
help me judge if my system would make the move smoothly and at what
price? I see so many conflicting suggestions on Google and I don't know
which to trust, and have 0 time for useless trial and error.

Also, knowing this client, I think he's not too happy about shooting his
precious core business machines over the net to be hosted out of reach.
It may be a psychological thing, but I can sympathize :-)

An out of body experiance
Ira Abramov
http://ira.abramov.org/email/