RLM mark in standard Hebrew keyboard layout

Yuval Hager yuval at avramzon.net
Thu Mar 5 12:11:07 IST 2009

On Thursday 05 March 2009, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> 2009/3/5 Yuval Hager <yuval at avramzon.net>:
> > On Thursday 05 March 2009, Baruch Siach wrote:
> >> Hi Yonatan,

> >> How about SI1452?
> >>
> >> http://www.qsm.co.il/NewHebrew/Key1452e.htm
> >
> > Is there something similar for the Lyx variant?
>
> If by "something similar" youmean a page that describes the character
> placements, try this:
> http://www.echoofeden.com/digest/slaveofone/2007/02/14/writing-hebrew-in-op
>enoffice-under-linux/

Yes, thanks. It is strange that the only page that clearly shows this visually
is in English :)

I find the lyx variant to be most intuitive. As I don't have time to look for
the documentation when I need to add diacritics, it makes much sense for פתח
to be on פ, for קמץ to be on ק, for חיריק to be on ח, and so on. If I don't
remember the exact position of something, I do not have to err much before I
find the right one.

Compare that to the shift-number method...

> It is missing some characters, though, notably RLM and LRM.

Yup, these always confuse me.

It would be great if someone writes up a simple page, in Hebrew, that explains
that and shows it visually (both RLM/LRM and diacritics). It will also help
non-technical people who use Linux desktops (for me this means - my wife, my
kids, and my sister. I guess every second subscriber on this list has a
couple of those installations too).

--yuval