Cheap VM cluster (software, storage) ideas

Ira Abramov Lists-Linux-IL at ira.abramov.org
Sat Mar 7 02:38:38 IST 2009

Quoting Ghiora Drori, from the post of Thu, 05 Mar:
> Hi,
> s3 is not used for block storage!! local ec2 instances storage or EBS drives
> are used.

Yeah, I see that now. The problem was I have never heard of EBS till you
email (not that I could find much about them, but I understand they are
somewhat like an external storage you see as any other disk on the bus,
only you get the ability to share it among many VMs.

Now THAT is interesting. cheap common storage is a real boon and I can
use that for smarter hosting of clusters without shelling out for an
iSCSI or FC machine... All that is left to decide is which clustered FS
is the fastest and most reliable that I can use with this setup.

> As to cost if you are using 4 servers it really does not matter. If you are
> you are using a 100 and
> there number can drop to 50 or go up depending on what you are doing the
> savings are significant.

true, but this is not the case at the moment, unless I give each virtual
web host a separate unique VM, but that would be insane.

Koan: if apache runs just one website, but inside a VM. Is it still a
Virtual host?

Ira.

Another word for "awesome"
Ira Abramov