xfone 018 phone service and Linux

Arie Skliarouk skliarie at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 23:21:34 IST 2009

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 13:54, Gilad Ben-Yossef <gilad at codefidence.com>wrote:

>  Arie Skliarouk wrote:
>

> How do they solve the latency problems inherent to any internet connection?
>
> The round trip time to a well connected (read: 0% packet loss) server in
> Israel from an Israeli ISP, where Israel here is defined as "connected to
> the IIX", is under 50ms.

On a 150kbit upload ADSL upload of a 1500 bytes packet takes about 85ms. To
send out the VoIP packet would take another 85ms (on condition that you have
a really good QoS). This causes latency of 85-170ms with jitter 85ms. The
VoIP speech (SIP protocol) has a lot of skips and is unacceptable.

Theory aside, I would like to hear first-hand experiences of people with 018
before I commit for a year of phone service with them.

--
Arie