Fax Modems?

Amos Shapira amos.shapira at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 12:49:53 IST 2009

2009/3/5 geoffrey mendelson <geoffreymendelson at gmail.com>:
> I'll like to set up a hylafax server to SEND faxes from my computer. I'm
> runnning Ubuntu
> 8.04.2 LTS. I have several HAM type modems, but from what I can see there
> are no drivers
> in a 2.6 kernel for them.
>
> What do people use? Is there a source of fax modems that work with Hylafax
> in Israel?

I might be a bit hijacking the thread but since I think Geoffrey uses
VoIP this might be relevant still - does anyone here have a working
solution for faxing over non-PSTN lines? Is Fax<->Email gateway the
only way?

I heard about T.38 and needing a gateway between a regular fax and
something which will convert the analog signal to "Fax Over IP"
(FoIP?), but so far haven't found anyone who can give me such a
service or gadget.

I'd like to take advantage of my All-in-one HP Photosmart printer.
Right now this is the last reason I keep (and pay for) the PSTN line
at home in parallel to a VoIP line.

Thanks,

--Amos