Thanks for a Wonderful Tel Aviv FOSS Club Meeting

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Mon Mar 9 18:33:31 IST 2009

Hi all!

Yesterday Erez (Doron) gave a talk to Telux about receiving Private Satellite
Television on Linux. The talk was very interesting, and I found it especially
encouraging that many people came to hear the talk and the room was at least
half-full. I'd like to thank Erez for volunteering to give a presentation, and
all the people who attended the meeting and made it such a success. Some of
them asked questions or made insightful comments throughout the presentation,
which made it even more interesting.

Some of us went to a nearby café after the meeting - so thanks to all of those
who went there. I'll put the presentation slides on the club's website as soon
as Erez sends them to me, but you really should listen to him giving the
presentation if you're interested in learning more about this subject.

The club homepage is:

http://www.cs.tau.ac.il/telux/

We don't have anything scheduled for now, so if you have an interesting
subject, we'd love to hear you present it. Note that the presentation can only
last an hour because it starts at 18:30 and we have to evacuate the class at
19:45.

Maybe I'll hack something two weeks from now. Possible options are:

1. Some short presentations, possibly including a Tel Aviv-based re-run of the
"There are too many ways to do it" talk that I had already given to the
Jerusalem Perl Mongers.

2. I can try to convince Lisha to give her Emacs presentation again, this time
while being better prepared.

3. Maybe Gabor would like to give a presentation about wxWidgets/wxPerl
programming (this time without Padre).

4. Can someone give a presentation about NIS/NFS administration in Linux?
There was some interest for it during the Welcome-to-Linux series.

5. Other suggestions will be appreciated.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

Parody on "The Fountainhead" - http://xrl.us/bjria

<mauke>    I'm not interested in what you're doing; what are you trying to
           achieve?
<PerlJam>  mauke: I'm trying to achieve world peace and this regex is
           the last thing standing in my way! ;)