Fax Modems?

geoffrey mendelson geoffreymendelson at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 20:53:12 IST 2009

On Mar 9, 2009, at 12:49 PM, Amos Shapira wrote:

> I might be a bit hijacking the thread but since I think Geoffrey uses
> VoIP this might be relevant still - does anyone here have a working
> solution for faxing over non-PSTN lines? Is Fax<->Email gateway the
> only way?

I tried to do it and never had any luck. I have a cable modem from HOT
and according
to all the people I spoke to, including HOT technical support, the
timing is messed
up and it won't work.

Some people had good luck using aDSL lines and VoIP, but I was never
able to get
enough details for that information to be of any use.

When I asked on the Hylafax support list I was told it did not work at
all.

Vonage in the US, provides lines provisioned for FAX, and if you just
have a voice line,
you can dial *99 as a prefix and get a FAX connection. It did not work
from here when I
had a Vonage line.

I've been bugging Sammy Ominsky to do something with OlehPhone. When I
saw him
last week he said he had, but it did not work well enough to sell it.

> I'd like to take advantage of my All-in-one HP Photosmart printer.
> Right now this is the last reason I keep (and pay for) the PSTN line
> at home in parallel to a VoIP line.

Me too. In case anyone needs to know, it works fine on a HOT voice
line, but unlike the
other alternative voice lines sold here, it is NOT VoIP.

I happen to have the one HP unit that can not be used as a FAX modem,
which is why I
need another FAX modem.

Geoff.

--