Network Traffic Generation

Daniel Feiglin dilogsys at inter.net.il
Mon Mar 16 21:22:10 IST 2009

Aviv Greenberg wrote:
> 2009/3/16 Shachar Shemesh <shachar at shemesh.biz>:
>

>> Sorry, almost got it  :-)
>>

> Didn't i say mind boggling routing rules? Told ya! :)
>

>> Shachar
>>
>> --
>> Shachar Shemesh
>> Lingnu Open Source Consulting Ltd.
>> http://www.lingnu.com

Meanwhile, I've had a lengthy chat with the Linux/Networking guru where
I work. (I didn't know that he was one, until someone else there told
me!) Luckily for me, he picked up my "itch" and we "almost got it" too.

We were able to get ping packets from eth0 to side 1 of the link, and
thence to side 2, but no further. any attempt to get back to eth1 via
the link was thwarted - ping (logically) took the shortest route,
eth0->eth1.

I won't go into the morbid routing details of a failure.

Our guru's view was:

1. What I wanted to do (as stated) was probably not possible.
2. I could also forget about the crossed cable simulation.
3. Our radio links work in bridged or hub mode. If I chose bridged mode,
an set up the two NIC cards using separate subnets, maybe ...  the use
of dual routing tables (suggest earlier in this thread) might help.

At that point grim reality returned - and we had to drop it in favor of
real work.

If at some point, we reach a successful "round trip" via the link, I'll
publish the details.

Daniel