Fax Modems?

geoffrey mendelson geoffreymendelson at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 18:10:18 IST 2009

What do people use? Is there a source of fax modems that work with
Hylafax in Israel?

I dug up an old USR 56k/Fax modem and got Hylafax working. I have one
problem with it.
The modem does not have "adaptive answer". This is a feature where
when someone answers
the phone, the modem silently listens for a CNG (I am fax calling you)
tone. Our old fax machine
did that.

Without it if you use your phone line for voice too, you have to hang
up and hope the
calling fax machine retries the connection. With it, the fax machine
answers and
you hang up.

It's definitely a hardware problem, Hylafax will support it if the
modem does, and this one
does not.

Thanks, Geoff.
--