CanoScan 3200F anyone got it to work in Linux?

Oleg Goldshmidt pub at goldshmidt.org
Thu Mar 19 00:16:01 IST 2009

Moshe Brace using Yahoo <mbrace700 at yahoo.co.uk> writes:

> Hi Oleg,
> Many thanks for the information.
>
> http://www.sane-project.org/cgi-bin/driver.pl?manu=Canon&model=Canoscan+3200F&bus=any&v=&p=
>
> At the bottom of the page they give a link and more details, but I
> just don't understand how to download anything even though support
> is limited. Somebody is probably trying to crack the problem and do
> a good job, who knows?

Moshe,

Are you an experienced developer? If you are not, only the the last
paragraph of what follows will contain any useful suggestion.

If you want to get your hands dirty, from the SANE front page,
http://www.sane-project.org/ you can go to the Download page,
http://www.sane-project.org/source.htm, scroll down to the "Unstable
(Development) Source" section that gives you a link to the project's
CVS page, http://www.sane-project.org/cvs.html, and there you can see
instructions on how to access the source repository. You can also
browse the repository (there is a link on the same page), e.g., to

https://alioth.debian.org/plugins/scmcvs/cvsweb.php/experimental/cs3200f/?cvsroot=sane

which is likely the part that interests you (notice that it is the
"experimental" tree mentioned on the supported devices page that you
have already seen, and more specifically - its cs3200f subdirectory).

With this information, you can grab the code and try to compile it on
your computer. The commands

$ export CVSROOT=:pserver:anonymous at cvs.alioth.debian.org:/cvsroot/sane
$ cvs login
$ cvs -z3 co experimental

should get you the code. My guess is that if you look around for
README files (e.g., ac/README) you may figure out how to try and
compile it.

My guess is that it won't yield anything that you will be able to use,
but who knows? You can work on it, if you are so inclined - you have
the HW to try it on.

Sorry, this is about how far I can help you. I've never touched SANE
code, so I have no relevant knowledge. I am trying to give you a hint
how to go about exploring this stuff.

How much is your time worth? If your priority is to get a working
scanner rather than make the world a better place (sorry for the
cynicism) then picking a supported model from the list that is also
sold by Office Depot or whoever for a few hundred shekels may be the
efficient solution.

Good luck, anyway,

Oleg Goldshmidt | pub at goldshmidt.org