Firefox 3 - random crashes

Shlomo Solomon shlomo.solomon at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 18:27:16 IST 2009

On Friday 20 March 2009, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 09:33:14AM +0200, Shlomo Solomon wrote:
> > Ever since upgraging from Firefox 2.* to 3.0.7,
>
> How have you upgraded exactly? What distribution? From what packages?
Sorry - thought it was clear from my signature - Mandriva 2008.1 - official
RPMs.

> The script that starts firefox disabls output. Which is annoying.
I agree :-)

> For starters, start it with:
>
>   strace -f -o firefox_trace firefox
I did try that a few days ago, but there was no real point, because the
crashes are "apparently" random and usually happen after hours of running
(when I'm not at the computer).

In any case, it seems that FLASH was the problem since the browser has now
been running for about 52 hours with no problems. There are 2 strange things
that I'll have to look into.

1 - when I dis-abled FLASH, I discovered that both 9 and 10 were installed
(don't ask how - I have no idea). Tomorrow I'll try re-enabling only one of
them and see what happens.

2 - even though I'm now pretty sure that FLASH was the problem, I'm not clear
on why, because I have the Flashblock extension installed and usually allow
flash only when it's really needed - for instance on Youtube.

--
Shlomo Solomon
http://the-solomons.net