The role of Wine

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 16:39:10 IST 2009

> An operating system is an environment meant for running applications.
> Ideally, it is the applications, rather than the OS, that are the real ends,
> with the OS merely being means to that end.

Do you mean that Linux is not a religion? That we can actually use
other operating systems if the programs that we want only run on those
systems? Heresy!

Seriously, if a user finds himself needing to run an application
designed for ABC operating system on XYZ operating system, then before
even trying Wine, an emulator, or a VM, the user should contact the
author of the software and ask for a version that runs on his OS.
Authors will not write software for any OS unless there  is an
interest expressed in using the software on that OS.

Before ever trying to run an application in Wine, write to the
software author and ask about Linux support.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il