Hebrew Under crossover

Aharon Schkolnik aschkolnik at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 13:35:56 IDT 2009

On Wednesday 25 March 2009, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> 2009/3/25 Aharon Schkolnik <aschkolnik at gmail.com>:
> > I have managed to get MS word to work under crossover.
> > I see that if I do :
> >
> > LC_ALL=he_IL.UTF-8 ~/cxoffice/bin/winword
> >
> > I can insert Hebrew.
> >
> > Is there a "right" way to set things up so I don't have to set LC_ALL and
> > then run winword ?
> >
> > Ideally, I would just like to choose crossover from the KDE menu, and
> > then choose winword from as the windows command, or even better, create
> > an item on the KDE menu which will just run winword and have it work
> > properly.
> >
> > If I set up my locale globally to be he_IL.UTF-8, will it screw up other
> > things ?
> >
> > TIA.
>
> Write a script that sets the local then opens the app.
>
> #!/bin/bash
> LC_ALL=he_IL.UTF-8 ~/cxoffice/bin/winword
> wine /path/to/word
>
> Are you implying that you have MS Word working with full Hebrew
> document support (I don't care about interface language) in Crossover?
> Which version of Crossover, with which version of MS Office? Have you
> verified that Hebrew displays RTL and that you can type in Hebrew?
> This has been a problem for as long as I remember, and the last
> Crossover that I tried (v5) did not have full Hebrew document support.

I see that I spoke too soon. I can enter Hebrew text, but mixed Hebrew and
English is screwy !

Darn - I really need a solution for this. I was going to use vmware to access
my XP  partition and run MS word under XP under vmware under Linux, but my
disks are SCSI, and as far as I can tell vmware doesn't support raw SCSI
disks.

Just to be clear - what I need is a way to edit MS mixed English and Hebrew
word documents which will be read by Windows users. At the monent the only way
I can do that is by booting into XP ;-(

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated !

TIA

Aharon

--
  The day is short, and the work is great,    |  Aharon Schkolnik
  and the laborers are lazy, and the reward   |
  is great, and the Master of the house is    |  aschkolnik at gmail.com
  impatient. - Ethics Of The Fathers Ch. 2    |  054 3344135