Hebrew Under crossover

Aharon Schkolnik aschkolnik at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 11:21:42 IDT 2009

Thanks for the response.
Comments in-line.

On Monday 30 March 2009, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > Just to be clear - what I need is a way to edit MS mixed English and
> > Hebrew word documents which will be read by Windows users. At the monent
> > the only way I can do that is by booting into XP ;-(
>
> If you are creating the documents and others are reading, then there
> are two solutions:
>
> 1) Open Office 3.0 handles MS Office documents <= 2003 in a reasonable
> manner. If you are producing the documents for distribution, then
> expect no problems (but don't be mad at me if there are). Sometime
> receiving documents for MS Office users is not ideal, but creating
> them is fine.

Boy, I wish this were true. First, I have found that Open Office has a very
difficult time with mixed Hebrew and English. Second, I have found that a
mixed Hebrew/English document created with Open Office will get messed up when
viewed with MS Word.

Have others had a different experience ?

> 2) Again, use OOo 3.0 but instead of distributing DOC files,
> distribute PDF files. DOC files are not meant for distributing, their
> viewer application is buggy and rarely used (users will likely open
> the documents in an editor, ie, MS Word) and has other problems.

No, DOC format is a requirement.

> If you need to recieve and colaborate with MS Windows users, you have
> two options:
>
> 1) Buy MS Windows and MS Office and use them. I actually like
> Microsoft's office suit, but I hate their operating systems!

I have both. I just don't want to have to boot into Windows to be able to do
what I need to do.

> 2) Convince your collaborators to use Open Office. This is suprisingly
> easy, many people are willing to get rid of MS Office. Although I
> personally prefer MS Office and use OOo out of necessity (Linux user),
> I find that most people prefer OOo for some reason, once they see it.
> Go figure.

Sorry to say, not up to me.

--
  The day is short, and the work is great,    |  Aharon Schkolnik
  and the laborers are lazy, and the reward   |
  is great, and the Master of the house is    |  aschkolnik at gmail.com
  impatient. - Ethics Of The Fathers Ch. 2    |  054 3344135