why ubuntu increases interface name of network card eth ( ASAP !!!0

Lev Olshvang levo at vboxcomm.com
Mon May 11 16:24:58 IDT 2009

Shalom List,

Please advice me on the following issue :

I have Compact flash with Ubuntu 8.04 installation and several mini ATX
boxes

When I booted up first box, I had eth0 interface up

The second box received eth1 name

The third one got  eth2

/etc/udev/rules.d/z25_persistent-net.rules

I do not see any network card related information in udevinfo --export_db

My /etc/network/interfaces is :

I saw once the post from Shahar:

"On Debian systems, check out /etc/udev/rules.d/z25-persistent-network.
Just delete the lines for the old and the new network card, and let it
choose automatically eth0.

Shachar "

But  I do not see anything related to the inerface number in my
udev/rules for Ubuntu

I have a feeling that the list of PCI devices is stored in some place
and  the udev matching see network card MAC address stored when I booted
other boxes

I need some answer today if possible ???

ThanX,
Lev