Dual screens / keyboard layout

Aviram Jenik aviram at jenik.com
Thu May 21 01:33:48 IDT 2009

To hijack the 'ubuntu sucks' thread (though it really does suck), here is a
tip, and two questions:

- For the guy that asked about dual screens not showing the best resolution,
open your terminal and type:

xrandr --auto

if that doesn't get you the optimal resolution, do:

xrandr -q

see what your monitor is called ("VGA", or "TMDS-1" or something similar) and
then do:

xrandr --output TMDS-1 --auto

This will set your resolution to the best xrandr thinks it can do, using the
current 'virtual screen' settings. If you want to over rider what xrand
thinks it's best do:

xrandr --output [bla] --mode 1280x1024 (or similar)

Now my question: X automatically detects when I plug in the 2nd monitor. I'd
like to run xrandr when that happens to set it to the 'correct' resolution.
Does anybody know what scripts runs on this hot-plug detection?

Second question: When I connect a USB keyboard it does not have the correct
layout. I need to go to the keyboard layout and hit 'apply' for it to enforce
the layout on the USB keyboard as well. Since xorg.conf is now pase', does
anyone know how to solve this issue?

- Aviram