strange sound problems

Erez D erez0001 at gmail.com
Fri May 22 09:58:04 IDT 2009

well, after upgrading my htpc to jounty, my sound stopped working:

no, i have a strange problem:

under user1, aplay -Ddefault a.wav works, as well as aplay -Dhw:0,0 a.wav
under user2, aplay -Ddefault a.wav doesn't work, but aplay -Dhw:0,0 a.wav
does

neither user1 nor user2 have an ~/.asoundrc file ...

now, if i put ~user2/.asoundrc file containing:
ctl.!default {
        type hw
        card 0
}

pcm.!default {
        type hw
        card 0
}

then for user2, both -Dhw:0,0 and -Ddefault works, however:
when i launch mythfrontend as user 2, i get no sound, with:
NVP: Disabling Audio, reason is: snd_pcm_open(default): Device or resource
busy

but if i restart X & mythfrontend, then i have sound.

the problem is consistant.

any idea anyone ?