lyx Hebrew keyboard layout variant issue

Herouth Maoz herouth at spamcop.net
Fri May 22 11:36:14 IDT 2009

On 21/05/2009, at 19:57, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

> On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 12:28:03PM +0300, Herouth Maoz wrote:
>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> I recently upgraded the Linux version on my work machine, and I
>> noticed
>> something odd about the Hebrew kxkb layout, which I use in the lyx
>> variant. There was no "=" key, and there were two "]" keys. The
>> default
>> Hebrew layout had no such artifact.
>>
>> After comparing my KDE-based Mandriva setup with my sysadmin's Ubuntu
>> (Gnome), it turned out that we had the same layout, and the thing
>> about
>> it is that it's not completely defined. The number keys and symbol
>> keys
>> which are supposedly "common" to the Hebrew and US layouts are not
>> defined. The default variant defines all the keys.
>
> This is by design. The lyx layout only touches the second group.
> Someone
> may want to use the British pound sign for shift-3, for instance.

Only when they use the Engish layout, I'd assume. When you use a
Hebrew layout, you expect shift-3 to give you "#". I touch-type in
both languages, and some of the punctuation marks are mapped to
different keys (the comma, for example). In the context of Hebrew, I
look for the comma on the bottom right row. In the context of English,
I automatically type it where it belongs in the English keyboard. It's
part of the training of the brain. Thus, it makes no sense to have
shift-3 mapped to anything other than what it is on common Hebrew
keyboards in a common layout. The bottom line is that there shouldn't
be a situation in which I don't have a "=" sign in Hebrew, just
because I chose an alternative layout as my English layout!

And of curse, the

> What layout do you use, exactly? What's you current XKB configuration?
>
> xprop -root | grep _XKB

_XKB_RULES_NAMES(STRING) = "xorg", "pc104", "us,il", "dvorak,lyx",
"compose:rwin"

Note that when I change my Hebrew keyboard to "no variant" (that is,
instead of "dvorak,lyx" I get "dvorak,"), the missing "=" key appears
where it is expected in Hebrew.

Thanks,
Herouth