Perpetual quest for GNU smartphone

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir at cohens.org.il
Tue May 26 15:15:11 IDT 2009

(As you used the word GNU in the subject line)

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 01:05:27PM +0300, Arie Skliarouk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For a long time I find myself looking for an open smartphone, with
> Linux and GPS.
>
> Initially I had high hopes for OpenMoko's platform, but now I think it
> is dying for several reasons:
>  * their's latests phone model Freerunner has audio issues

Latest? Wasn't this issue resolved?

>  * It has weak connectivity (GPRS)
>  * There is no quality applications for it (like GPS turn-by-turn
> navigation) due to chicken-egg problem and lack of DRM.

You want a free platform?

> This makes me look into direction of Android G1.

The Android may be Linux. But it is not GNU/Linux . The userspace is
completely different. Userspace GNU/Linux applications you know can work
on the Moko, but generally won't work on an Android.

--
Tzafrir Cohen         | tzafrir at jabber.org | VIM is
tzafrir at cohens.org.il |                    |  best