ping problems

Erez D erez0001 at gmail.com
Wed May 27 10:05:14 IDT 2009

On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 9:41 AM, Aviv Greenberg <avivgnet at gmail.com> wrote:

> If you ping another destination during the "hang" - does it work?

a download i started before the ping continues even after the ping is dead

> If you ifdown and ifup the interfaces (wan + lan) on the router after
> a hang - is it released?
> an icmp packet is short so i don't think this is the case but: what is
> the MTU on the lan/wan?

as you said, the ping packets are smaller then the mtu (and all are same
size)
also ping is connectionless, so it makes sense if the lost packets are
spread randomly
but not if in the beginning all pass and in the end all fail

> Also, use a tool like mtr
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mtr_(My_traceroute)<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mtr_%28My_traceroute%29>to detect any packet
> loss along the route.

mtr works from both router and lan
there is some packet lost on the closer servers, but none at the target
but it is the same for both router and lan.

thanks,
erez.