"binks" when using newer kernels

Diego Iastrubni elcuco at kde.org
Sat May 30 13:44:28 IDT 2009

On Saturday 30 May 2009 13:35:55 you wrote:
> On 30.05.2009 Diego Iastrubni wrote:
> > I just heard that EXT4 is stable in 2.6.30... but no distro still uses
> > that kernel by default.
>
> My SOHO server uses an ext4 /home partition in the last 5 months (since
> Fedora-10 bundled it) without a hitch.
>
> Also, ext4 is the default partition type for Fedora-11 due in
> about a fortnight -- 9/6/2009, another week delay :-(
http://www.tllts.org/dl.php?episode=300&submit=Submit

I recommend you to listen to this podcast, in which The Linux Link Tech show
intervue Ted T'so. He explains the problems in EXT4 and how distros are
backporting features to earlier kernels. There are still a few bugs to be
found.

They also have a great intro, in which they play all the fun they had with
RMS, that's always funny :)

> > As Xorg 1.6 should come "soon", all I can think of is
> > "all distros are messed up right now, wait".
>
> The only "turbolent" area lately was really X (because of the changes
> required for KMS). It was harder for KDE users (me included) because
> KDE (especially Plasma) uses a lot of high end features of the drivers.
mmm... I have been thinking about it... I am not using KMS! But still, I have
it compiled "built-in". Maybe it's time to remove it and test again.

> Waiting for stabilization isn't a bad idea, but the main problems are
> over. At least from my POV (as a Fedora user), a fully updated F10
> works reasonably well on all my computers (home + work) and F11
> would be an improvement (X.org-1.6, KDE-4.3, etc.)
Oron, I kindly disagree with you. The problems are now starting: only now the
code is going to be used widly, only now the developers can see how it works
on non-developers machines. This is time for me to wait for the internet to
test the code before I use it :)