Hebrew in urxvt

Yuval Hager yhager at yhager.com
Wed Nov 4 17:51:05 IST 2009

I've recently switched from Konsole to urxvt. Konsole has great bidi
support, which allows one to switch from logical to visual text
representation at the click of a button.

I was missing bidi support in urxvt (and virtually every other terminal I
tried. I was told to try mlterm, but I never got to it, as it does not look
so exciting.

I just found a way to view Hebrew characters correctly in urxvt, and wanted
to share.
urxvt supports perl extensions, so here's what you need to do:
0) you do have the culmus fonts installed, don't you?
1) install Text::Bidi. run 'cpan' and then 'install Text::Bidi'.
2) install the perl bidi extension by Moshe Kamensky from
http://lists.schmorp.de/pipermail/rxvt-unicode/2006q3/000321.html. It
appears at the end of his email, copy that to a file and place it
under '/usr/lib/urxvt/perl'. Name it 'bidi'.
3) run urxvt as folllows:
$ urxvt -fn 'xft:terminus-12,xft:comix no2 clm' -pe bidi

this works beautifully, without even the need to click needed in Konsole. I
am not editing files in Hebrew, just need to see an occasional Hebrew file
name, or Hebrew logs.

Cheers,

--yuval