Bypassing ISP restrictions

geoffrey mendelson geoffreymendelson at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 15:53:07 IST 2009

On Nov 5, 2009, at 3:02 PM, Boris Shtrasman wrote:

> Hello ,
> I had some experience with systems that provide a "secure" net
> access (as in
> Cosher / with no Adult media / etc).
> I wrote a small tut on how to bypass some of them but i pretty sure
> that there
> are much better ways to that.
>
> What i know that actually work as protocol encapsulation and VPNs :
>
> ssh based vpns.
> gre based vpns.
> pptp based connection.
>
> The problem is that there should at least two machine that you have
> access to
> them or that the end user will be ok to install some extra software
> (for
> proper work of BT for example).
> Perhaps it can be done in a simpler way ?
>
> (1)
> The link (my Blog post Hebrew ) nothing fancy just a small post says
> almost
> the same as in this email.
>
> http://myrtfm.blogspot.com/2009/11/blog-post_03.html

The easiest way is to use dynamic forwarding with ssh. It creates a
socks5 proxy, which many things understand. AFAIK except for a few
"accidents" at Netvision, no one blocks ssh.  This does not work for
watching videos though. It also requires shell access at the other end.

There are also all sorts of commerical proxies out there, the FireFox
addon FoxyProxy includes links to them when you install it. There is
even one with a name something like watchusuktv that someone posted to
Janglo[0]  recently for watching geographicaly restricted  streaming
tv. It costs money, but they have a free trial. I looked at it and
decided not to try it.

Geoff.