UltraEdit for Linux: who wants a license discount?

Shachar Shemesh shachar at shemesh.biz
Sun Nov 8 06:48:11 IST 2009

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> Cross-posted to several lists.

I'm surprised the list even allowed it through.

Putting the forums in BCC is a good start, but what would work even
better is if you actually posted it separately. The way you posted it
makes it extremely difficult for people to answer you publicly. I
suspect the only reason this was posted at all was because one of the
other admins manually approved it (which I wouldn't, by the way, for the
reason stated above).

Enough technicalities....
> I'm not going to buy it as I
> don't need it, in fact I didn't even test the betas due to university
> time constraints! If anyone wants my discount, just ask.

But that's just the point, isn't it?

Even on Windows, you rarely have to go with commercial solutions. There
are free (which are free) solutions that do an excellent job. On Linux
the market is even more saturated.

As a point of proof - even the beta testers don't need the program.
> In any case, now is a good time to show the commercial viability of
> Linux and support UltraEdit.
That sentence would have been appropriate had the people of the list
decided to use UE without paying. I'm sure you don't think we would, for
the sake of showing economic viability, buy products we don't intend to
use, do you?

This is not a cynical question. Can you provide us with anything UE does
that is not available in any number of free automatically installed
editors, most of which are the default text handlers anyway? I'm asking
because the question of economic viability stems from demand and supply,
not from spending money on ideologically buying something you don't need.

In other words, it's UE that need to supply the viability, not the
community. The community just needs to be willing to spend the money
where the product justifies it.

Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh