Home Theatre computer

geoffrey mendelson geoffreymendelson at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 12:19:25 IST 2009

On Nov 10, 2009, at 12:03 PM, Amos Shapira wrote:

> You must be replying to my post and as usual you give reveal great
> knowledge of "behind the scenes".
>
> But your explanation doesn't sit with the difference between the
> experience of set-top (or built-in) digital receiver, which switches
> digital channels instantly, to what I was told I should expect from a
> PC (or just Linux?) based receiver *in the same country*. Can you
> explain this?

I don't see this. My experience is with an Apex DVB stick T-328b which
seems to be made by Geniatech. It is currently only supported in
Windows, it has a different tuner than the ones supported by Linux and
the Mac commerical programs.

Using the various versions of software I have for it on a MSI Wind
U100 (1.6gHz Atom, Intel GMA 950), it takes several seconds to switch
channels in Israel, which is the only place I have tried it.

Since I have to reboot my laptop to bring up windows, I'm loath to do
it just to quantify the time. :-)

I have used VLC, DVBViewer and the included software, which my
computer is too slow to run  and produces no sound. I have been told
that the included software works fine on faster computers with Windows
Vista, but I don't have it.

I have not used a set top box. I have YES, so there is no need for me
to get one.

Note there are three incompatible transmission systems, DVB-T (which
Israel uses), ATSC (US) and a Japanese system. I only know the
Japanese system exists because my son was watching NHK news (on YES)
and they mentioned that another country (I don't remember which one)
has chosen the Japanese system.

Geoff.

--
geoffrey mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM