Using OpenSource software in closed source componies (how ?)

Hetz Ben Hamo hetzbh at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 00:11:00 IST 2009

Hi Boris,

you *CAN* use open source software with closed source application. The
exception is when you're changing the source of the open source application,
which means you'll need to give back the modification. I think linking to a
FOSS product (GPL'd) is a bit more problematic, but for this you can write
some simple wrappers.

Thats my understanding anyway...

Hetz

2009/11/19 Boris Shtrasman <borissh1983 at gmail.com>

> Howdy ,
>
> I'm a foss  developer ,so i prefer to use tested techniques and good
> software.
> recently i found myself in a problem:
> I'm reimplementing good Foss solutions (parts of rsyslog , nmap , etc ... )
>
> I can speed up my work (C++ developer) by using allready created GPLv3 and
> MIT
> software.
>
> As i see i need to use rsync (any variant) in closed source project in the
> next manner:
> application A calls rsync to upload to a file to remote server.
> (it is GPLv3 license afaik).
>
> Reading the license i didn't get a definitive answer.
>
> So when in need to develop with close source what is the way to use GPL
> tools
> ?
> As in plain binaries (no use in source code or  source encapsulation).

Skepticism is the lazy person's default position.
my blog (hebrew): http://benhamo.org