Using OpenSource software in closed source componies (how ?)

Boris shtrasman borissh1983 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 00:18:03 IST 2009

Well my question arises after reading nmap copy file: (
http://nmap.org/svn/COPYING)

 * o Integrates source code from Nmap                                      *
 * o Reads or includes Nmap copyrighted data files, such as                *
 *   nmap-os-db or nmap-service-probes.                                    *
 * o Executes Nmap and parses the results (as opposed to typical shell or  *
 *   execution-menu apps, which simply display raw Nmap output and so are  *
 *   not derivative works.)                                                *
 * o Integrates/includes/aggregates Nmap into a proprietary executable     *
 *   installer, such as those produced by InstallShield.                   *
 * o Links to a library or executes a program that does any of the above   *

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 12:03 AM, Shlomi Fish <shlomif at iglu.org.il> wrote:

> On Thursday 19 Nov 2009 23:24:04 Boris Shtrasman wrote:
> > Howdy ,
> >
> > I'm a foss  developer ,so i prefer to use tested techniques and good
> >  software. recently i found myself in a problem:
> > I'm reimplementing good Foss solutions (parts of rsyslog , nmap , etc ...
> )
> >
> > I can speed up my work (C++ developer) by using allready created GPLv3
> and
> >  MIT software.
> >
> > As i see i need to use rsync (any variant) in closed source project in
> the
> > next manner:
> > application A calls rsync to upload to a file to remote server.
> > (it is GPLv3 license afaik).
> >
> > Reading the license i didn't get a definitive answer.
> >
> > So when in need to develop with close source what is the way to use GPL
> >  tools ?
> > As in plain binaries (no use in source code or  source encapsulation).
> >

> If you're just executing GPLed binaries (using fork()+execve() or Win32's
> CreateProcess), then they can be executed from code of any licence,
> including
> proprietary licences. Only if you link to GPLed sources or include them
> inside
> your program, then you must release them under a GPL compatible licence.
> But
> it's possible for you to call other GPLv2/GPLv3 programs freely.
>
> Thanks , that clears the issue for me .

> Regards,
>
>        Shlomi Fish

> Shlomi Fish       http://www.shlomifish.org/
> http://www.shlomifish.org/humour/ways_to_do_it.html
>
> Chuck Norris read the entire English Wikipedia in 24 hours. Twice.

-- Boris Shtrasman ------------
|Gnu/Linux Software developer   |
| IM       : boris at jabber.com   |
| URL      : myrtfm.blogspot.com|