Linux and 802.11n

geoffrey mendelson geoffreymendelson at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 08:39:46 IST 2009

I currently have a wired network with 802.11b and 802.11g segments.
They all share the same IP subnet and work perfectly fine. However
they are very limited in range and performance.

Currently I do about 5 gigabytes a day of on-line backups (really just
mirroring to a server in another room) over the wired network, with
less than 100 megabytes  over the 802.11g network.

The 802.11b network is almost irrelevant, it is occasionally used by
older laptops which do not support WPA nor 802.11g.

I may soon be in a situation where I will have to abandon the wired
network and need to get similar performance to a 100mbit ethernet over
wireless. The range is a single floor 140 square meter apartment where
an identical one is covered by single 802.11g router.

The computers are a mixture of MacOS, Windows (XP and 7), Linux
(various flavors of Ubuntu).

Does anyone have any experience with 802.11n devices?

I am looking for recommendations for:

1. A router/access point.  I'd prefer something cheap, but since it is
going to last a while I can go a little higher in price. It should be
reliable and not fail (as some of the cheap 802.11g routers) do when
you try to squeeze data from the 100mbit line into the wifi. :-(

It should also be Linux compatible, e.g. the http support screens need
to work with FireFox. (some don't, notably the BEZEQ Siemens 802.11g).

2. Internal (PCI) cards and USB sticks. They should have NATIVE Linux
support, i.e. not using Windows drivers in compatibility mode. Windows
drivers needed (don't all of them have them?) and MacOS drivers for
the USB sticks preferred.

3. They need to be available, supported and legal in Israel.

Thanks,

Geoff.

--
geoffrey mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM