Adding Wireless to Cable Connection

shimi linux-il at shimi.net
Thu Oct 8 10:28:52 IST 2009

The right way to do it is not with an Access Point. Someone needs to
"multiplex" your connection to multiple devices. Since you have just
one external IP address, someone needs to "share" it between your
multiple machines and do "magic" that makes it (multiple unicast
machines between one unicast address) work. We call that magic-maker a
"NAT router" (which basically every home router does). So what you
need is an Ethernet router (with an Ethernet port on his WAN port).

Then I would suggest that you ditch the "dialing" part of the loop. If
you don't, your router must support L2TP protocol to work with all
ISPs. That doesn't always work well, even if supported. The preferred
solution, IMHO, is to ask your ISP to move you to a dialer-less
connection (which they dub "MPLS") and then just set the router to
"obtain IP from DHCP" - and you never have problems again. It also
gives you pretty much a static IP, as long as you don't turn off your
equipment for a long period.

Also I don't think you can buy a router with a built in cable port in
Israel... I haven't seen such in stores... and even if you do, HOT
will have to agree to connect it to their network (they must put the
MAC address on their systems for this to work...) - which I am really
not sure they would agree.

My 7.4 agorot,

-- Shimi