OT: Going rate for LAMP jobs

Geoff Shang geoff at QuiteLikely.com
Sun Oct 25 19:15:48 IST 2009

Hi,

I've been offered work on a (presumably) one-off project, writing some PHP
code to collect data from devices out in the field and store it in a MySQL
database, to provide information/updates (as yet not fully specified) back
to these devices, and web pages to allow users to track the information
sent in by the devices.

Sounds reasonably straight-forward enough, though I've not yet asked for
the specifics.

My question is, what is the going rate for work like this?  The person
asking is in the US but obviously they're happy to go off-shore for this
so it's not just the US I need to worry about.  I'm of course prepared to
be flexible but I don't want to under-sell myself if I decide to take it,
and there are other reasons why I may not.

Thanks,
Geoff.