ISP Suggestion

shimi linux-il at shimi.net
Mon Oct 26 17:13:32 IST 2009

2009/10/26 Gilad Ben-Yossef <gilad at codefidence.com>:

> Just an educated  guess, but I believe Netvision might have an Akamai node
> hosted there while 012 may  not. Since Youtube uses Akamai as a CDN, the
> connection via Netvision only foes through the local loop, while in other
> ISPs it does the long haul.
>
> Again, just guessing, but easy to find out - go to an you tube video on
> Netvision and 012, get the URL and resolve it through the respective
> companies connections (so that GeoIP will give you the right Akamai node)
> and trace route to that node from each ISP.
>
> The netvision trip should be very short to their data center while the 012
> is probably long haul aboard or goes through the IIX (less likely).
>
> Again, just guessing.
> Gilad

Actually as an 012 customer (and some other ISPs as well...) - I can
+1 on the problem watching streams from YouTube via 012. And I'm
connected over a fiber as a business user. I noted that when it
happened - it didn't happen on every stream - rather than on certain
ones. I noticed the 012 IP ranges when it worked real good (so I guess
they have CDN servers) and unfamiliar IPs when it doesn't. Sometimes
it gets completely stuck, sometimes it's just real slow but letting it
buffer-up does the trick. It happened more on less-popular movies
(i.e. Israel originated with not many views. Maybe YouTube pass only
popular stuff to their CDN? I don't know...)

012 support was not-helpful when I approached them regarding the subject.

I can note, however, that lately I didn't encounter the phenomena at
all. On the other hand, lately my traceroutes look different (012
switched to a different backbone in Europe?), which might explain why
it got better...

It might also have been MTU/Window Scaling issues [I use Linux with
default paramters...] - which could explain the initial burst and then
the connection getting stuck...

-- Shimi