can the BIOS be changed from Linux? - failed overclocking with new computer

Gabor Szabo szabgab at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 15:40:13 IST 2009

On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 2:46 PM, Gilboa Davara <gilboad at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-10-26 at 07:28 +0200, lior wrote:
>> On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 06:44:17 +0200, Gabor Szabo <szabgab at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I just bought a new computer, install Ubuntu 9.10 beta (not the RC as
>> > it was not out yet)
>> > and after I try to reboot, the computer does not even reach the BIOS
>> > boot sequence.
>> > (blank screen).
>> > After letting it rest for some time I can turn it on, then it gets to
>> > the BIOS boot and displays the
>> > following error:
>> >
>> > Warning!!! The previous overclocking had failed, and system will
>> > restore its default setting.
>> > Press any key to continue...
>> >
>> > Pressing a key makes it boot but the happens again after one or two
>> > bootings.
>> >
>> > Oh, an *I* have not touched the BIOS and *I* did not configure
>> > overclocking.
>> >
>> > I already took the computer back once and they told me about some rare
>> > thing that happens
>> > only once every 2 years that the BIOS is flips.
>> > I think they just either did not configure it well or for some reason
>> > it gets broken after the first boot.
>> > Or something is broken or incompatible in the hardware.
>> >

>> > The question if Linux might change the BIOS or cause this problem?
>> > If not, what do you think could be the reason and the fix?
>> >
>> > Here are the details of the computer (from the order form) just in
>> > case someone can see
>> > some parts that do not work well with Linux or with each other.
>> >
>> > CPU: Q8200 2.33 Gh 4MB Core 2 Quad
>> > mother board: G41M-E43 DDR3 HDMI MSI
>> > screen card: Nvidia GeForce 9400Gt 512MB P.P.View
>> > HD: 500 Gb SATA2 16 Mb Hitachi
>> > Memory: CL7 DBT GEIL 2x2Gb (4Gb) DDR3 1066 Mhz
>> > DVD: GH22NS SATA LG DVDX22 DL
>> > power: 350W FAN 12 CM Power man
>> >

>> I think you might be underpowered. I input the above specification in the
>> newegg PSU calculator and got ~390W.
>>
>> http://educations.newegg.com/tool/psucalc/index.html
>>
>> The boot sequence is one point in time where you might notice this.
>>
>> Lior
>
> I second the above.
> You need at -least- a 450w PSU for this machine.
> (In your case, the CPU + GPU alone can eat more than 250w...)
>
> - Gilboa

Interesting.
I took back the computer again. They called me 3 days later and
told me they tried to reboot it 100 times and it worked fine.

They also told me to look at the power calculator of MSI
http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=power
and that one shows that I need less than 300 W.

Very strange and I am not sure what to do with this whole situation.

Gabor