New Essay - "FOSS Licences Wars"

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Wed Sep 2 20:28:53 IDT 2009

On Tuesday 01 September 2009 22:43:12 Steve Litt wrote:
> On Tuesday 01 September 2009 14:09:24 Shlomi Fish wrote:
> > So why am I still sticking with the MIT/X11? The main reason I think is
> > that as an open-source programmer, I'm not interested in worrying about
> > how people abuse my code. I don't like Apple, and am not fond of many
> > Microsoft products. But I'm not interested to prevent Apple or Microsoft
> > or any other developer of commercial and/or proprietary software for
> > Windows or Mac OS X or the iPhone or whatever from using my code in their
> > projects.
>
> Even if they do monopolistic things with your code? See this:
>
> http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9137291/Mac_clone_maker_sues_Apple_o
> ver_Snow_Leopard

Sorry for breaking the URLs. It's a KMail boo-boo.

I've thought about it and I'd like to say what I feel about it. The first part
of the answer is that I'm don't want my software to police Ethics. If I make
my licence GPL or similar, then no one will be able to use it in "proprietary"
contexts, including many small software developers, or many big and small
benevolent organisations (both software and non-software related) that are too
scared of complex copyleft licences, for many reasons. So I don't only
discriminate against abusive companies such as Apple, but I also discriminate
against many other perfectly innocent corpora - some of which won't ask me for
permission before moving elsewhere or writing something themselves.

The second reason is that in accordance with:

http://www.shlomifish.org/philosophy/philosophy/guide-to-neo-tech/

I think that while monopolies are often inevitable, then given good market
conditions, they cannot remain abusive for long, or else they won't be able to
sustain their market-share. And the current economical situation in many
countries encourages many monopolies or oligopolies by giving huge contracts
(of the military, the education system etc.) to only one very large
contractor. (We may be getting off-topic). Therefore, I think that we should
let the market should speak for itself, and we should not worry too much about
monopolies.

The third reason is that I think even the worst monopolies in history that I
can think of were not as abusive as many governments:

http://vip.latnet.lv/LPRA/100MilVictims.htm

Corporations, while possibly being immoral and destructive are unlikely going
to do something that stands against absolute ethics such as killing,
stealing/theft or fraud, which governments have been routinely doing, even
against their own citizens.

Finally, let's say I'm writing a text editor called "My Enhanced Text Editor"
or "METE" for short, and release it under a BSD-style licence. Someone
(perhaps a single developer, perhaps a multi-million-dollar-corporation),
takes it, enhances it and creates METE-Enterprise Edition, which becomes
insanely popular and gains a near monopoly on the text editors' market. As the
developer of METE, I can now work on integrating the good features of METE-EE
into METE, so we will eventually regain some of the market share. And maybe
some features are only of interest to METE-EE-Corp.'s customers and are of no
interest to the open-source version, which can regain a substantial share of
the market while still allowing METE-EE-Corp. to make nice sales. And
naturally, as METE developers we're not standing still.

As the developer of Freecell Solver, I got some very good ideas from my
competitors. For example, I implemented a randomised scan with a user-
configurable seed after seeing Freecell Tool, and I worked on a meta-scan for
minimising the average solution length after some input from the creator of
http://www.numin8r.us/programs/ ). Neither of them are free.

Naturally, all of this is assuming there are legal problems such as software
patents, but these may affect the original METE too, and are an even greater
danger to commercial software than to gratis one. (Even Microsoft has been
bitten by software patent litigations several times.)

I should note that also there's a place in the market for both FOSS and non-
FOSS alternatives. For example, see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Bug_and_issue_tracking_software

There are several high-quality FOSS alternatives, but many commercial and/or
non-free offerings are also doing fine. And there isn't a clear winner.

And in the software world there have been several historical transitions from
one dominant alternative to a different one or to several alternatives.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

Best Introductory Programming Language - http://shlom.in/intro-lang

read.