Alsa Underrun problems with Skype and Skype ALSA PulseSound Stuttering

geoffrey mendelson geoffreymendelson at gmail.com
Sun Sep 6 09:32:38 IDT 2009

On Sep 6, 2009, at 8:41 AM, mbrace7forums at aim.com wrote:

> http://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-fix-the-sound-issues-between-skype2.0-and-pulseaudio-on-fedora9
>
> This maybe the answer to stuttering Skype Pulse sound. It means
> adding 3 groups
> pulse
> pulse-access
> pulse-rt

I don't think think this will "fix" the problem. I put fix in quotes,
because the real problem (buffer underrun) is just a fancy way of
saying that SKYPE has no sound to play when your soundcard is waiting
for data.

You can work around it by eliminating or ignoring the message or the
error, or improving the handshaking between SKYPE and the soundcard so
that if there is no data, it is no longer expecting it, which
eliminates the underrun. It does not in any way, eliminate the lack of
data.

I'd like to note that now that I have two internet connections here,
that my aDSL/012 combination works much better with SKYPE than my HOT/
Netivision one. There are many other differences between the two in
terms of perfomance, but that is beynd the scope of this email.

Geoff.

--
geoffrey mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
Jerusalem Israel geoffreymendelson at gmail.com