Perl slowness

Arie Skliarouk skliarie at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 16:11:46 IDT 2009

Try to measure disk seek time on both disks:

 time echo $(dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/null count=1 bs=512; dd if=/dev/sda
of=/dev/null count=1 bs=1 skip=200049647116;)

Replace the last number with size of the disk - several bytes (check using
fdisk -l).
The operation would give meaningful result only the first time you run it.

If someone has better way to check disk seek speed, please share.

Are you running the script as root?
Do you get the same slow results each time you run it or only the first
time?
Is there disk thrashing during startup?

--
Arie