I have a rabbit in my ears ;-)

Tomer Cohen tomer at gmx.net
Thu Sep 17 14:48:27 IDT 2009

Such websites became quite common thanks to Google who started providing
Hebrew translation recently. They are doing so in order to get some traffic
from other languages as well as doing SEO to their site (more content -
higher rank). I guess that English to French translation, for example is far
better than the Hebrew translation. Please note that I've seen some people
doing it the opposed way - writing in Hebrew and providing other langauges
as well using Google service. You can only guess how bad Google translate
it. :)

As for your question, you may want to check out the following -
http://www.guysoft.co.il/2009/08/31/dvb-t/
http://linmagazine.co.il/desktop/2009/07/07/sml/dvb-t-1
http://linmagazine.co.il/desktop/2009/09/09/sml/dvb-t-1

2009/9/17 Nadav Har'El <nyh at math.technion.ac.il>

> While looking on Google for information about digital TV on Linux,
> I searched in Hebrew "לינוקס טלוויזיה דיגיטלית" (linux digital television)
> and I found the following forum, in Hebrew:
>
>        http://www.unix.com/iw/whats-your-mind/87912-digital-tv-rocks.html
>
> I found the subject of the thread, "טלוויזיה דיגיטלית הסלעים!" very amusing
> (a funny translation of the English phrase "Digital TV rocks!"), but the
> text of the forum was even more bizarre, containing really broken Hebrew
> and the phrase that really got my attention was "יש לי ארנב באוזניים",
> "I have a rabbit in my ears!"
>
> This made me think this was probably some sort of automatic translation,
> Looking at the menus on that site, also using completely broken Hebrew,
> made me think even more that this was an automatic translation. But why?
> Who would bother translating some sort of English Linux forum into Hebrew
> in an unreadable manner? Why wouldn't they clearly say something to this
> effect on the web page?
>
> Web I clicked in the US flag on that page, I found the original English
> text of the forum. So now I'm sure this is an automatic translation
> (by the way, the original phrase was "I got some rabbit ears", referring
> of course to an antenna).
>
> I still wonder why this page exists in the first place... And why it is
> the first place on Google for somebody in Israel who wants to watch tv
> on linux...
>
> --
> Nadav Har'El                        |      Thursday, Sep 17 2009, 28 Elul
> 5769
> nyh at math.technion.ac.il
> Phone +972-523-790466, ICQ 13349191 |If con is the opposite of pro, is
> http://nadav.harel.org.il           |congress the opposite of progress?

Tomer Cohen
http://tomercohen.com
Sent from Ramat Gan, Israel