Administering Drupal

Geoff Shang geoff at QuiteLikely.com
Thu Sep 17 20:28:36 IDT 2009

Hello,

I find myself in the position of overseeing a Drupal installation on
Ubuntu Server.  We're running the 8.04LTS version of Ubuntu with the
intention of staying with it until the next LTS release (next year?).

The problem I have is that Drupal 6 is not packaged for 8.04.  I got
around this by installing Drupal 6.10 from Ubuntu 9.04, but even this has
pending security updates.  So I'm considering updating to the version from
the yet-to-be-released Ubuntu 9.10.

But this raises a problem.  It's possible to update Drupal from within
Drupal.  Given this, it begs the question - should I use the package
system to provide a Drupal installation or should I just install the main
upstream package asis and use its own updating capabilities to keep it
updated?

I can see complications ahead if I don't make a firm decision one way or
the other, so I'd like the advice of anyone who has had to deal with this
sort of thing.

I don't know much about Drupal and I don't particularly plan to.  I've
been asked to install it so that content people can do their thing with
it, and that people in charge of specific sites on the machine can admin
their bit of it.  Am I naive in thinking I can keep my distance from this?

Geoff.