[W2l] Welcome-to-Linux/Welcome-to-FOSS Planning - what we'd like to have

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Sun Sep 20 22:52:49 IDT 2009

On Sunday 20 Sep 2009 18:42:49 Ori Idan wrote:
> As allways I volunteer to give the philosophy lecture.

That would be nice. I think we should also need a backup lecturer. Maybe Eddie
or Lisha or someone. And if you have any comments on the summary that would be
nice.

> I can also give a rerun of the living in the community lecture.

I don't think it will be necessary as part of the core 2-4 parts series. We'll
just refer people to the slides, or maybe you give them as part of the
extended series. I think the original "How to ask questions the smart way" by
ESR & Rick Moen is instructive but a bit patronising. As important netiquette
is, we should be friendly and tolerable to questions of newcomers, even if
they appear a little clueless at first, because they may prove to be a useful
addition to our community. See for example, my:

http://www.shlomifish.org/philosophy/perl-newcomers/

And there's been some discussion on related topics on the Perl blogosphere
lately too.

I realise newbies and especially the clueless ones can be annoying, but I'd
rather not lose a single one because, one by one, we can end up losing a lot.
I've already talked with a FOSS developer on Freenode's #perl who said he's
been using NetBSD because #netbsd was the only distribution channel which
treated him with friendliness and respect. So things like that count.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

[Trimming the quoted message]