web hosting

Amos Shapira amos.shapira at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 05:29:44 IST 2009

2009/9/29 Constantine Shulyupin <const at linuxdriver.co.il>:
> Requirements:
>
> disk space 0.5-1 GB
> download size of frequent pages - 3MB
> average visits - 300 per day ~= 1 GB / day = 30 GB/month
> peak load: slashdot effect - 100 K per day ~= 30 Mbps = 300 GB
> ~ 2 peak days in month = 0.6 TB (GoDaddy failed to service promised
> 1.5 TB of dedicated hosting)

I pay $8 for a Xen host at VPSLink which covers most of these except
for the traffic quota requirement (gives 100Gb per month, for
$20/month you can get 300Gb, more disk space and more dedicated ram):
http://vpslink.com/xen-vps/. It gives more than you specify below
since it's a full private virtual xen host.

With such varying bandwidth requirements, maybe it's worth considering
some cheap CDN (Content Delivery Network) service, e.g. see the
following (a bit old) thread I found by google'ing "cheap cdn":
http://drupal.org/node/218177

> Fast web access without redundant javascript and flashed. (GoDaddy
> uses a lot javascript and flash, and is slow)

Check :). Once you have your own host you can use filezilla, for
instance, to manage files on it, or webmin to completely administrate
it.

> FTP access

Check.

> web or real-time access to access.log and error.log

Check.

> Most of bandwidth - US,

Check (they are based in Seattle WA and recently opened a DC in New
York with specials to encourage users to move there).

> For Israel I use only small homepage
>
> php, ssh, wiki, svn, blogs could be nice but is not yet necessary

All check once you have your own server.

> Where to allocate it?
> A few additional dollars per month are not very important.

Cheers,

--Amos