Kosher for Passover software

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Thu Apr 1 10:55:55 IDT 2010

On Thursday 01 Apr 2010 10:30:36 Ilya A. Volynets-Evenbakh wrote:
> On 04/01/10 09:06, Shlomi Fish wrote:
> > Why are you saying "M$" instead of "MS"? Don't you know the dollar
> > signs ("$")
> > is not kosher for Passover since U.S. dollars constitute leavened bread?
> > This makes all Perl, PHP and Bash/zsh code (And some Ruby and Haskell
> > code) non- kosher for Passover.
>
> I'm not kosher either (for Passover or otherwise), so it's OK.

Shame on you! I'm not going to associate with Shqatzim such as yourself.

> > Seriously now - I detest people who use "M$" instead of "MS", not as much
> > because I respect Microsoft (which I do to a substantial extent), but
> > because I respect the dollar-sign,
>
> There seems to be a contradiction in your words.
> 1. You say that you don't like people who use M$
> 2. You say that you respect the dollar sign.
> 3. You say that you respect the company.
>
> How is combining two things you respect is a bad thing?

Well, first of all, it should be noted that the "$" sign is generally
associated with greed for money (Like "Make $$$ fast.") etc. so this is what
people are implying by writing "M$" instead of "MS". By associating the "$"
sign with Microsoft, one implies that either Microsoft is negatively greedy
(which may be the case, but all good companies, including the open source
ones, want to have profits too, and there's nothing wrong with that), or that
the "$" sign is negative just like Microsoft is perceived to be (and are to a
large extent).

If "M$" implied respect for both the dollar sign and for Microsoft, it would
be OK, but fact is it undermines both.

Regards,

	$hlomi Fish