Need advice on differences in socket programming on regular vs cellular networks.

Baruch Even baruch at ev-en.org
Tue Apr 6 15:18:15 IDT 2010

2010/4/6 David Harel <hareldvd at gmail.com>

> Marc Volovic wrote:
>
> On Apr 6, 2010, at 2:47 PM, David Harel wrote:
>
> A friend wants me to code a solution on a mobile device connected to local area network via cellular modem (having simm card and a valid local IP address).
>
> Assuming above obtains, a socket is a socket is a socket is a socket.
> Bind and accept normally.
>
> I was hoping I would get this reply. Thanks.

While this is true on the surface, it's worth being aware to your
underlying network special idiosyncrasies. There is a lot more packet
loss than usual and round trips are longer. Design the protocol to
reduce the problems that can be incurred due to these issues. Pipeline
your requests and don't use a stop-and-wait method unless required.
This will reduce the overall time it takes for your app to achieve its
goals. If you are using a standard protocol find where you can
pipeline in it while following the spec. There are probably other
things you'll find along the way, the above is just what I could come
up with on the fly.

Baruch