Hebrew calendar software creators: can you notify this list when updating the calendar?

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 09:57:28 IDT 2010

On 14 April 2010 09:25, Nadav Har'El <nyh at math.technion.ac.il> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 14, 2010, Dotan Cohen wrote about "Re: Hebrew calendar software creators: can you notify this list when updating the calendar?":
>> I meant in terms of actually generating that file. It looks like itwould
>> need to be hand edited, which I can do once a year, but not for 200 years
>
> Why would it need to be hand-edited? Calculating the Gregorian dates of the
> Jewish years can be completely automatic. First try to simply use existing
> free software out there (e.g., hcal, luach) you can try looking at its code,
> and at worst I can try to dig up the Jewish calendar code that I once wrote
> but never published. But you shouldn't need to do anything manually!

I agree with your assessment about hand-editing, but I wanted to be
sure before I get in too deep. Send to me the code, I will try to get
something useful out of it. Unless it's Perl. Don't send me Perl!

> The bigger question, I think, is - can this "judaic.calendar" file contain
> data for several years, or just a single year? Like I said, I consider the
> data for a single year to be *worthless*, and I wouldn't even bother
> updating it. After all, what do you do in December when you want to plan
> your Pesach vacation, and mistakenly find the date of last year's Pesach?

I agree, ideally the file would not need to exist. However, we do not
live in an ideal world. Lke you I consider at least two generations of
living humans in each direction to be the minimum acceptable time
frame that a usable calendar would support.

> Finally, I'm at a loss - what is this file good for anyway? Which applications
> use it?

Presumably Korganizer, which has a Jewish Date plugin. I will ask on
the KDE-PIM list. See also this post:
http://www.layt.net/john/blog/odysseus/ethiopean_and_coptic_calendar_systems_for_44

--
Dotan Cohen