Hebrew calendar software creators: can you notify this list when updating the calendar?

Ron Varburg linux-il at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 14 20:08:27 IDT 2010

> Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 09:25:48 +0300
> From: nyh at math.technion.ac.il
> To: dotancohen at gmail.com
> CC: linux-il at hotmail.com; linux-il at cs.huji.ac.il
> Subject: Re: Hebrew calendar software creators: can you notify this list when updating the calendar?
>
> Finally, I'm at a loss - what is this file good for anyway? Which applications
> use it?

1. Debian and derivatives, and probably others, seem to distribute a yearly
calendar files.  I think we should be there too.  Even if the usability is
limited, it still is.   If/when they expand the usability of the other files,
 it would be easier to expand the usability of calendar.judaic if its
 initially there.

 2. I think 2 things should be done about including an up to date
calendar.judaic file in the distributions:
2.1 send a bug report with an up to date version.
2.2 send a bug report that include the script for generating an
up to date version.  Hopefully, the maintainers will have the script
run automatically each time they need an up to date file, so that
an outsider intervention, such as ours, can be minimal.  In addition,
with a well documented process of generating the file, it would
be easier for any one to create an up to date version and file a
bug for its inclusion.

3. Is there a way to semi automatically create the non regular dates,
such as the postponed date of the holocaust day?  Is there a known
authoritative sites to pick these dates from?