High Availability

Marc Volovic marcvolovic at me.com
Thu Apr 15 08:48:59 IDT 2010

A number of issues:

First - what. You need to replicate (a) links, (b) storage, (c)
service machines.

Links are internal and external. Multipath internet connexions.
Multipath LAN connexions. Multipath storage links. Redund network
infrastructure (switches, routers, firewalls, IDS/IPS).

Replicate storage. If you use SAN with dedicated links, multipath
links and storage. Redund storage hardware and add storage
replication. Add auto-promotion, takeover, and (if possible) partition
prevention mechanisms. Use STONITH.

Service machines are the easiest to replicte. Simple heartbeat will
provide a significant level of failover and/or failback. Here,
likewise, use STONITH or other partition prevention mechanisms.

Under-utilize. 70% duty cycle is good.

Expect costing hikes.

---MAV
Marc. Volovic