home automation question

Erez D erez0001 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 16:04:40 IDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 3:55 PM, Itay Donenhirsch <itay at bazoo.org> wrote:

> hi
> if you already mentioned avr and would like to build things yourself then
> you can definitively build it yourself, see
> tuxgraphics.org/electronics/200606/article06061.shtml (you'll need an
> enc28j60 as well).
>
> you can buy avrs through ebay/digikey/mouser or in israel either arihav or
> some stores in shdreot bnei zion, ta.

thanks. but it still seems too expensive and time consuming.

> <http://tuxgraphics.org/electronics/200606/article06061.shtml>a question
> though - why ethernet of all things? why not lay an rs-232 cable (avrs got
> internal uart for that) + max232 for the voltages and be done with it?

1. i have ethernet. i do not have rs232. that's what i have.
2. rs232 specs say it is for 15meters (which is too short anyway)
3. only one computer can connect to an rs232. so i need to set up a server
for the rs232 <-> ethernet, which i do not want to.