home automation question

Erez D erez0001 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 09:37:12 IDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 5:59 PM, Itay Donenhirsch <itay at bazoo.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 4:04 PM, Erez D <erez0001 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 3:55 PM, Itay Donenhirsch <itay at bazoo.org> wrote:
>>
>>> hi
>>> if you already mentioned avr and would like to build things yourself then
>>> you can definitively build it yourself, see
>>> tuxgraphics.org/electronics/200606/article06061.shtml (you'll need an
>>> enc28j60 as well).
>>>
>>> you can buy avrs through ebay/digikey/mouser or in israel either arihav
>>> or some stores in shdreot bnei zion, ta.
>>>

>> thanks. but it still seems too expensive and time consuming.
>>

> np, but it can be fun to build such a thing.

been there, done that.

>>>  <http://tuxgraphics.org/electronics/200606/article06061.shtml>a
>>> question though - why ethernet of all things? why not lay an rs-232 cable
>>> (avrs got internal uart for that) + max232 for the voltages and be done with
>>> it?
>>>

>> 1. i have ethernet. i do not have rs232. that's what i have.
>>

> Do not have rs232? What the world had come to...

i do not have rs232 cable. i have cat5e cable under the floor. i am not
openning the floor to add another cable, nor am i using the cat5e cable for
rs232.

>> 2. rs232 specs say it is for 15meters (which is too short anyway)
>>
> You can easily build a repeater using a single MAX232.
>

>> 3. only one computer can connect to an rs232. so i need to set up a server
>> for the rs232 <-> ethernet, which i do not want to.
>>
>> You can connect rs232 to a computer which have ethernet, etc..
>
> Ofcourse that all what i've written is only if you got the time, and I
> agree ethernet is much sexier :)
>
> You can always get an Arduino with an ethernet shield (ps, i hate arduinos
> but that's for another discussion), gives you all you want I guess.
>
> Itay

i have a slug ( nslu2 ) i use as a web server. maybe i will move it to the
warehouse and use it as an ethernet <-> whatever bridge ..