fic ce268 laptop

Yedidyah Bar-David linux-il at didi.bardavid.org
Sat Aug 14 23:58:52 IDT 2010

Hi all,

I am considering buying a FIC CE268 laptop, and would like to get reviews
about it from current users of it.

It's a low-profile "netbook", costs 699 NIS in officedepot:
http://www.fic.com.tw/product/ce268.aspx
http://officedepot.co.il/catalog/catalogSku.do?id=4236592&pr=QJ5&N=2%2032937&sgID=10

Does it work well? Is all the hardware working well? Sound? USB? Webcam?
Wireless? How long does the battery hold?

Does it seem to have reasonable quality? Can I expect it to work for more
than the 1 year warranty they provide?

What distribution of linux does it arrive with? Does it support Hebrew
well (i.e. as well as other current common distros)?

Is the webcam giving good pictures in linux? I recently used two different
USB webcams that worked well in Windows and in linux did work rather well
but gave a too dark image, with no apparent solution.

Does it work well in skype? That is, like a faster "normal" linux PC?

Is the keyboard comfortable enough for touch-typing? I do not expect to
type a lot on it, thogh.

Does it run hot after several hours of use?

Suggestions from current users of other similar small/cheap
laptops/netbooks that are easily bought in a store in Israel with local
support/warranty are also welcome.

TIA,
--
Didi