You develop in Linux and are looking for work, and are requested to provide CV as a .doc file - what would you do?

Oleg Goldshmidt pub at goldshmidt.org
Mon Aug 16 19:45:29 IDT 2010

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 6:52 PM, Amos Shapira <amos.shapira at gmail.com> wrote:

> Personally, I fit my CV (and write a cover letter) for every job I apply for.

You have a specific model, or use case, in mind. The model is active:
"see an ad - apply for a job".

To me a more important use case is making my CV available to people
who search for candidates and letting them decide if I may fit their
(or their customers') needs.

A headhunter needs to see your CV before there is a specific position
to discuss. A company that searches for qualified candidates may see
my CV before I know it exists.

Later, if a headhunter discusses a specific position with me I may
direct him/her to send a custom CV to the prospective employer. I may
ask for the headhunter's advice on customizations - he/she knows the
prospective employer better than I do at this stage. But that's
*later*.

If a prospective employer contacts me directly on the basis of the
"generic" (not customized) CV there is no point in customizing it -
they already thought it was worth a call or an email - the CV has done
its job.

Oleg Goldshmidt | oleg at goldshmidt.org