Can there be an Ethernet Switch that doesn't work with Linux???

Nadav Har'El nyh at math.technion.ac.il
Sun Aug 29 11:40:48 IDT 2010

On Sun, Aug 29, 2010, shimi wrote about "Re: Can there be an Ethernet Switch that doesn't work with Linux???":
> You didn't mention what was before this Edimax switch? The old Hub?

Before we had chaos, and darkness upon the abyss ;-)
But seriously, this is a new house, and a new setup. What's driving me
crazy is that all the "complicated" things work (I have cat-6 wiring between
rooms for 10 Gbps ethernet, a "router", cable modem, and everythign else)
and the simple thing - a switch for several computers in one room - is
what I can't get right..

> It could be that there's an Ethernet negotiation problem, in such a way that
> your MAC doesn't get registered on the switch (?). Not necessarily a Linux
> problem. Maybe a NIC problem, or an Ethernet cable problem. Of course that
> with a Hub that would work anyways, because a Hub broadcasts to all ports,
> regardless of negotiation...

Like I said on a previous mail, the speed negotiation works. The guess that
the switch has a bug and forgets my computer's MAC address makes sense, but
how come it forgets the Linux computer's and remembers the Windows one? :(

> So, did you try a different NIC?

Unfortunately, while I had old hubs and other crap lying around, but not
NICS. This is a 3 year old NIC that I doubt should have any problems working
with modern switches, and it doesn't have any problems without them.

--
Nadav Har'El                        |        Sunday, Aug 29 2010, 19 Elul 5770