COM port redirector

shimi linux-il at shimi.net
Mon Aug 30 11:43:09 IDT 2010

2010/8/30 Elazar Leibovich <elazarl at gmail.com>

> I need to use a single serial port from a computer remotely. That is, I
> need to have a virtual COM port driver which will emulate the COM port, and
> would send and receive the actual data from a computer with a real COM port
> which is a running a special server.
>
> It seems that this Wikipedia article describes what I'm looking for
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COM_port_redirector
>
> Can anyone recommend an application (preferably opensource, preferable
> cross platform so that it'll have a windows client)?

I think that a Virtual COM is something is difficult to be.. unified.

Google found the following:

http://www.hw-group.com/products/hw_vsp/index_en.html

which claims to create a Virtual COM that opens a TCP connection to a remote
location.

And there's the well known:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ser2net/

That runs on Linux as a listener, allowing TCP connections to communicate
with a real port.

Those two together sound like they should do the job...

-- Shimi